7/29/2012

Bavarian cream (Bayrisch Creme)

My mom was born on 8th Mai. This cake is meant be a tribute to her big day with a tornado like kitchen helper next to me.


Mom, happy birthday! Wishing you many years of health and happiness to come!

For the recipe, I would like to say hereby a big thank to my ex co-workers from Munich. My going away gift included a German recipe book (Peter Ploog: Bayerische Küche). In this book I happened to find this recipe. Thank you guys, you are awesome! 

Ingredients:
  • 250 ml cream
  • 125 ml milk
  • 1/2 inside of a vanilla bean
  • 3 sheets of gelatin (transparent)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 50 g powdered sugar

Directions:

Whip cream until stiff peaks form and set aside.
Cut open vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add bean, seeds, and milk to a pot. Bring to a boil. Add gelatin to 1 dl cold water.
Mix the sugar with egg yolks until creamy. Pour some boiling milk by constantly stirring into the egg mixture. This will heat the eggs without scrambling them. Put the milk back over the heat and put the egg mixture into the milk, while  stirring constantly. Bring milk&egg mixture to a boil while constantly stirring again. Add gelatin and mix well.
Allow the mixture to cool to the point where it begins to thicken.
Fold in the whipped cream then put the whole mixture/cream into a nice pot.
Allow to set in the refrigerator for a few hours.
According to the original recipe, garnish with raspberry sauce. Unfortunately I didn't have it home, so I used red cranberry sauce instead. Worked well.



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése